Holmethorpe Sand Pits, Surrey ... 22nd March 2010

An early morning walk around the local patch produced the first local Wheatear of the year.
I had spent 20 minutes scanning the fields at the farm for Wheatears and was surprised that none had seemed to have dropped in overnight. Deciding I had failed miserably, I turned around and there behind me was a Wheatear perched on a post in the sheep paddocks!

Further on, at one of the pits, 3 Sand Martins flew low over my head, the first I have seen this year.

A few other good birds were around, including a Green Sandpiper, 5 Chiffchaffs, 2 Snipe, 4 Teal, 4 Shovelers, a female Goldeneye, 2 Egyptian Geese and a pair of Bullfinches.

Yesterday, Gordon (one of the local birders) had seen 2 Red Kites at Holmethorpe, so hopes are high that more will be seen during the coming weeks.

Graham





No comments:

Post a Comment