Holmethorpe Sand Pits, Surrey ... 1st July 2011

An early morning wander around Spynes Mere at Holmethorpe Sand Pits for a couple of hours produced 14 Egyptian Geese, 13 Lapwings, a Lesser Whitethroat, 11 Common Whitethroats, 8 Chiffchaffs, a Willow Warbler, 3 Reed Warblers, a Nuthatch, a pair of Bullfinches, a Reed Bunting and two Yellowhammers.

As I approached the sand-spit at Spynes Mere, all the Greylag Geese that were loafing there took to the water honking like crazy and in a state of panic. I couldn't see what had caused this frenzied behaviour - no sign of a fox or a raptor - then low over the M23 motorway this appeared, losing height rapidly.



I didn't hear any screeching of brakes so they must have touched down just the other side of the M23.

Yesterday, Matt Farmer had seen a Purple Hairstreak and an Essex Skipper in the area and I was optimistically hoping that I might be lucky enough to connect with one or the other.

As it was still early in the morning and quite cool, I hadn't yet seen a single butterfly on the wing but this little micro moth had caught my eye. It is Acleris forsskaleana, sometimes called the Maple Button.




Acleris forsskaleana

I headed round to the southern side of Spynes Mere and, about half way along the path, a fast flying butterfly whizzed past me and landed on the hedge by the path. I couldn't believe my luck - a Purple Hairstreak. It stayed there for at least five minutes and I managed to get a few shots before it flew off towards a nearby oak tree.


Purple Hairstreak

I then decided to do another circuit of Spynes Mere as the sun was warming the air and the butterflies should be active by now.
A few Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large Whites, Small Skippers, a Brown Argus and loads of Garden Grass Veneers had now appeared. I took a couple of shots of the Small Skippers and decided to head home as quite a few dog-walkers and joggers had turned up.



Garden Grass Veneer (Chrysoteuchia culmella)

After transferring the photos to the computer, I quickly flitted through them and noticed that one of the skippers was actually an Essex Skipper. Like the Purple Hairstreak, this is not a species that gets noted very often at Holmethorpe.


Essex Skipper

So, the birding may not have been that good this morning, but the butterflies made the visit worthwhile.

Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment